Do you miss cruising or are you ready for a cruise. Crystal Cruise Chef Jon Aston has some fantastic receipes and he is anxious to share them with you. Prep your pantry for the following ingredients and get ready to enjoy a culinary delight that will remind you of 5* dining but you will be in your kitchen preparing this fantastic dish for your family & friends!
CRISPY ASIAN RIBS
3 racks of baby back ribs
8 peeled and smashed garlic cloves
1/2 cup sliced fresh ginger plus
6 scallions, thinly sliced white and green parts separated
4 star anise pods
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
1/2 cup dry white wine
Zest and juice from 1 navel orange
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cilantro stems
1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons canola oil
6 minced garlic cloves
1/4 cup minced ginger
2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1) Prepare ribs: Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs with a butter knife and a paper towel. Slice ribs into sections of two.
2) Arrange the ribs standing up along the outer edge of the Instant Pot or pressure cooker, making a wall (ring) with the meat side of the ribs facing out. Continue with the remaining ribs, arranging them to make circles. Add the remaining 10 ingredients to the center of the pot and add enough water to fill up pot. Close lid and cook for 30 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
3) Let ribs cool in fridge or in the pot for a few hours. I usually let mine cool overnight. This helps the ribs firm up.
4) Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat canola oil to medium-high. Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5) Add the brown sugar, ketchup and hoisin sauce and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, be sure to stir frequently, so sauce doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat. Taste for seasoning.
6) Heat a shallow frying pan with oil to 375 F.
7) Whisk the flour with the cornstarch. Working in batches, remove ribs from pot and dry and slice into individual ribs. Toss the ribs in the flour mixture and shake off the excess. Shallow fry ribs, turning until each side until golden. Transfer the ribs to paper towels to drain briefly, then brush them with sauce and serve.
Note: If you prefer not to deep fry, you can always remove the ribs, dry them and brush with sauce and cook under broiler to crisp up. If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can braise the ribs in a covered roasting pan at 400 F for 2 hours. Be sure to cover the ribs with extra water to stop them from drying out.
LEMON AND BLUEBERRY CAKE WITH VANILLA GLAZE
3 cup All Purpose flour
1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
1½ cup butter softened
2¾ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
6 large eggs
1 (8 oz.) package sour cream
2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, more if needed to thin
1 Tbsp butter melted
1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a bundt or cake pan. Set aside.
2) Place two tablespoons flour in a separate bowl for blueberries.
3) Sift together the rest of the flour, vanilla pudding mix, salt and baking soda.
4) Cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar and vanilla. Beat for 2-3 minutes until light and pale yellow in color.
5) Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
6) Lower the speed of the mixer and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream. Mix until fully combined.
7) Toss blueberries with the reserved 2 tablespoons flour. Add blueberries and fresh lemon zest to batter by hand and fold until evenly mixed.
8) Pour into the prepared cake pan and place into the oven.
9) Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
10) Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan.
11) To prepare the glaze: Mix together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, melted butter and vanilla extract. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
CRYSTAL'S GIN & JAM COCKTAIL
2 oz. Gordon’s gin
2 oz. fresh lemon
1 tsp. raspberry jam
Shake all ingredients together with ice, then strain into rocks glass with fresh ice. For garnish, take spoon of jam, lay it across the glass to be stirred into the drink for extra sweetness.